I actually had a nice one. It was very relaxed and I got to spend more time with my fiancée than I thought I would. We didn't buy each other fancy gifts or go out to a fancy dinner, but we spent quality time together and just enjoyed being with each other like we always do.
I'm rather conflicted about V Day. I really don't think it should be a real holiday (besides if it were really a holiday, I wouldn't have to go to school!). It's not really about love so much as it's about getting gifts from people. I feel like the true spirit of the day has been lost.
And why do we need one day to remind us to thank those around us and show people how much we love them? Why don't we do that every day? I certainly try to, or at least try to show it. I don't think we need to buy expensive gifts and trinkets to truly express our love. That's the capitalism talking. We are much too concerned about what we are getting and who is getting us what that we fail to focus on what we have already.
I'll give you an example: I have a friend who I have known from high school. She's been crazy at times, but deep down she has a good heart. She's married with kids and while her life isn't perfect, she has a pretty good one. Out of all the posts on Facebook, hers was the only negative one (and I was relatively shocked it was hers, to be honest). She said how her and her kids did all this stuff for her husband and she didn't get much back. I told her she should be grateful she got to spend any time with her husband at all that day as I barely got to spend much with mine. Of course that was earlier in the day when I thought I wasn't going to get to spend much with mine. She didn't answer me but it got me thinking about how unfocused people have become on what matters most.
It doesn't matter if you got a better gift than your friend or if your husband completely forgot it was V Day. What matters is that you have someone there who loves you, even if they aren't your significant other. Who cares if you didn't get exactly what you wanted? You have a husband and kids. You have a roof over your head. You have food. You have people who love you. These are all important things to remember as we go on to the next Hallmark Holiday where we'll get sucked into buying expensive trinkets we don't need.
This holiday was supposed to be about celebrating love. I really wish we could take the capitalism out of it and bring people back to that.
This year was probably the best V Day for me. Do you know why? Because it was the only one where I wasn't focused on getting anything(that's not to say we didn't have gifts, we just didn't have a lot of money to spend and so we spent the bare minimum). I was just focused on my fiancée and how much love I had for him. When you take the capitalism out of the holiday and really focus on what the holiday is about, that is when it becomes more enjoyable.
Now, I'm not saying everyone should stop giving gifts or boycott it altogether, I'm saying we should be more focused on the true spirit of the holiday instead of what we want and what we are expecting to get. My friend set her hopes too high and was disappointed. It also didn't help that all her other friends were probably getting amazing gifts or V Day surprises. Sure, mine were too, but I just ignored it and focused on what was truly important. That's what I'd like to see happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment