Now, I have a few thoughts on it. They will probably not be what you agree with but I'm trying my hand at thinking critically here so bear with me. Also, please don't bash me for my beliefs. I respect yours and all I ask is you do the same for me.
I found it interesting. While our initial reaction is to condemn them and say this is wrong, it would be wise to remember that it is their culture and they do things differently. It would be different if the girl was forced into it, but it seems it was consensual. It's difficult to not be ethnocentric in a case like this and while this seems wrong to us in our culture, I'm sure that they see facets of our culture as wrong. I liked the article and I like reading about other cultures so I found this more interesting than repulsive.
You also have to remember we don't have the whole story and only what the media chooses to tell us, but from what the media has said, the child and the mother will both be well taken care of. But we still don't have to whole picture so it's hard to come to a conclusion based on the evidence presented to us.
People are so quick to judge others that are different from themselves, especially other cultures. But we are also more alike than you might think. We all have our own problems, our own triumphs, our own sorrows. We're all the same, yet different. Try to remember that next time you see something like this and you automatically think about how repulsive or disgusting it is that this can happen somewhere else. I'm sure people from other cultures are looking at what we are doing and thinking the same exact thing.
1 comment:
I think it wss Mae West who said "Peple who are easily shocked should be shocked more often." It is not surprising to me that a 10 year old girl gave birth. I knew some New York City street kids who had babies before they were 13, and they weren't gypsies. If adults can't deal with the facts of life without intruding on them they should grow up.
There are laws and there are traditions, and sometimes they cross swords. It's unfortunate when that happens, but for the Roma it makes it necessary to live outside the fringe of society. They were also killed by the Germans during the Nazi period.
It's too bad the father isn't available. It would make it easier. But arranged marriages at that young age seldom work out.
At any rate if the mother and daughter are doing fine, those who can help should help them as much as they can and everybody else should stay out of it.
That's what I think.
You have written a solid, compassionate piece. You should be proud of it. Write more.
Dana
Post a Comment