Thursday, May 19, 2011

When one door closes, another opens

So this is the last week of school before finals. I have one more project to complete and then I just have to worry about studying for finals. Fun fun fun. I should be working on my project, but I'm having a serious ADD moment and I really need food.

As I sit here on my perch in the library, perfectly positioned where I can see the comings and goings of the denizens, I'm thinking about how this is probably the last time I'll ever sit in this library and that this time next year I'll be sitting in a different library watching different people come and go. It's kind of sad for me because I've spent 3 and a half years at this school. I had a blast here. The teachers are amazing and the other faculty is awesome. It's been quite an experience.

Most people would assume that I'm talking about a university. Actually, this amazing school is a community college. It's hard to believe for some people that a community college could be so amazing. After all, they tend to have a reputation for being lower on the food chain than universities and for the longest time it was looked down upon to attend one.

However, with the economy as it is, more people can't afford to go straight to a university and have been going to community colleges. I had always planned to go to one before going to a university because it's much cheaper and with my indecision, I knew it would take me longer than usual to pick a major and figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

Yet, sometimes I still feel awkward when I tell people I'm graduating that I'm just graduating community college. I think people assume that because I'm 25, I should be getting my BS or BA by now. Everyone moves at their own pace and this just happens to be mine. I'll be 30 by the time I get all my degrees which is fine with me. Hopefully the economy will have picked up by then and I'll be able to get a job.

I feel guilty for feeling awkward about being a community college graduate. I know I shouldn't because it's a tremendous accomplishment, especially since I have ADD and I did it all without medication, something I never thought I would do. I just feel like it's not as big as getting my BA or BS and I won't really feel like I accomplished something until I get that...and I really won't feel accomplished until I have a Masters or even a PhD. We'll see where it goes though. I need a Masters to do what I want to do, but I might change my mind by then...although it still wouldn't hurt to have a Masters heh.

I am going to miss this school. I had some really amazing teachers, especially in the Communications program. I can still come back and visit, which will be more enjoyable because I won't have to worry about homework hehe. This school helped me on my journey to discovering who I am and what I want to be when(if) I ever grow up. It's been an amazing journey and while I'm sad to close the door on this part of my life, another one is opening and it looks quite promising...plus the door might not stay closed forever...I can always come back and take other classes.

1 comment:

DB said...

Nothing wrong with community colleges. Too many people have started there and gone on to do great things for anyone to put them down. Sounds like you had a happy experience and got some good education, and that's what counts.
DB