It's not always easy when things go wrong in our life to look on the brighter side of things. When something bad happens, you just want to wallow for a while in self-pity, you just want to cry and scream at the universe. "Why me?!" "It's not fair!" are some of the things you might say when the universe seems to turn against you.
I have felt this way, too, especially today of all days. It's Christmas. It's supposed to be happy and nothing is supposed to go wrong.
Well, it did.
My day was going great up until I checked the mail. I got three cards, two had gifts in them and then the third one was a card from my uncle. First, the card was ripped and the envelope was a little torn as well. There was an amount written on the card, which I learned later was the amount of the gift card that was supposed to be in there. Yes, someone went through the mail and stole my Christmas gift.
Most people would be outraged, sad, upset, inconsolable. Well, I went through two of those. I was so angry, so upset that someone would do this. How could people be so evil? and on Christmas?!
Then I started getting past my rage and my hurt. I started to think about why someone would do this. Why would they steal someone else's gift? Sure, maybe they were just really mean and selfish, but what if they were desperate? What if they were so squeezed for money that the gift card was the only way they could afford Christmas gifts for their kids?
Granted, there should be other ways they could get the money or gifts for their kids, but what if they felt they had no choice? Sometimes the most rational people do the most irrational things when they are pressed up against the wall. Although, I am a very giving person. If I felt someone needed it more than I did, I would have gladly given it to them. That's just the kind of person I am.
That being said, I am still going to try to get the gift card cancelled. It was my gift and they didn't have a right to take it from me, regardless if they had a better reason for it than I did.
I'm not mad about it. I'm just more disappointed for them. I hope they get the help they deserve financially so they don't feel like they have to steal. If this was just because they are selfish and mean, well I hope something in their life changes and it changes their heart for the better so they feel like they don't have to be that way anymore. I wonder what their life is missing that they have to steal from someone. I wish them nothing but the best and that they find what it is they are looking for.
I know this is not normally what people would do in this situation, but I feel like there is enough negative energy out there that being negative about the situation only makes it worse. I was still upset and sad about what happened, but the more I thought about it, the more my attitude about it changed. I am no longer sad about losing the gift card. I am more sad for that person that was so desperate they had to steal the card.
It's just a material thing. I did get enough of those this year. What I lack in that material thing, I make up tenfold in the quality of people I have around me, both online and offline. I have great friends all around me and a great family too. I may or may not get the card back or actually get my gift from my uncle. It would be nice, but I don't really care about that.
I had a relatively good Christmas. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't ideal, but it was still 100% better than some people's Christmases. I have my health, I have my family. I was happy for a good portion of the day. I have a roof over my head and food in my stomach, that is more than I can say for some people.
I have people that love me and that's all I really need.
Have a Merry Christmas everyone. And a very Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment